Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:07:02 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        ken@kdm.org, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repeating medium errors and error from "camcontrol defects"

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 02:09:36PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On 27 Okt, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> At the moment I try to squeeze some information (or pointers to docs)
> about the on disk layout of FFS out of fs@freebsd.org. bde suggested to
> just compare the files on the partition with the backup or just to read
> every file on it and see which one produces errors (I'm going to do this
> now), but I think a dedicated program which does the phys block ->
> filename mapping needs less resources on a possible heavy loaded system.

A directory entry (filename) points to an inode, which directly and
indirectly points to the logical blocks inside the partition.
There are no references for the way back.
So the only way to find out is to traverse the directorys and inodes
until you have found the inode and then to continue with the directorys
until you found all remaining directory enties.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de