Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 09:05:15 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd@bug.fe.up.pt
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staying -STABLE with make world

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.980325222343.6347B-100000@slug.EUnet.pt>,
 <freebsd@bug.fe.up.pt> wrote:

> 2. If I customize any file in the tree that will be updated
>    by CVSup what will happen if that file must be changed by
>    the cvsup program? Can it merge the new version with the
>    one I've changed? If not what will happen?

It won't merge the changes -- it will simply overwrite the file.
(Maybe that will improve in a future version of CVSup.)  However, you
can set up a "refuse" file listing the areas that you don't want CVSup
to touch.  See cvsup(1) for details.

If you do a lot of customization and have enough disk space, you might
be better off CVSupping the CVS repository.  Then check out your
sources from there using CVS.  CVS is able to merge changes in the
way you describe.

John