Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2017 15:41:13 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing into alternate directory?

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 04:29:39PM -0600, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> > On 13 Oct, 2017, at 16:08, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> >
> > I suspect that this is documented someplace.
> > In the old days, one coudl install ports in
> > an directory hierarchy other than /usr/local
> > by setting DESTDIR.  This is/was handy in
> > testing a new port, or in particular, an upgrade
> > of an abandoned port.
> >
> > % cd /usr/ports/math/octave42
> > % make
> > % setenv DESTDIR /usr/local/octave42
> > % make install
> > ===>  Creating some important subdirectories
> > ===> /tmp subdirectory has been successfully created
> > ===> /dev subdirectory has been successfully created
> > ===>  Starting chrooted make in /usr/local/octave42...
> > chroot: /bin/sh: No such file or directory
> > ===>  Chrooted make in /usr/local/octave42 failed
> > ===>  Cleaning up...
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > What?
>
> PREFIX

Does not work.  'make install' will then look for dependencies
under PREFIX.  It won't find the dependencies, and then dutifully
populate PREFIX with those dependencies.  I want 'make install' to
install only the files that will be installed from the math/octave42
port.  No dependencies.  The dependencies are available iin /usr/local.

--
Steve