Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:30:08 +0100
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl>, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal for Authors / Vendors in ports

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 04:47:20PM -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl> wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Kris Moore wrote:
> >

> >> Wanted to run this by the ports community, see your thoughts. We build
> >> our PBIs from the ports system, and are able to parse most of the
> >> information out for display graphically, like descriptions, maintainers,
> >> website, License, etc. However we currently don't have a way to pull the
> >> actual name of the upstream vendor / author. I.E. for Firefox the vendor
> >> would be "Mozilla".
> >

> > WWW: [Mozilla](http://www.mozilla.org/)
> >
> > So, markdown format in pkg-descr. Seems the least amount of work?
>
> This adds a lot of work to the parser.
>
> IMHO we should have VENDOR_WWW and possibly VENDOR_NAME in the port's
> Makefile.  It should not be hard to automate this for VENDOR_WWW since
> we already have the WWW: lines in pkg-descr.

That sounds like an excellent idea.  I'm just a bit worried about
spreading the information over too many places, and would rather split
content from logic and add these to pkg-descr as well next to the
current WWW.  I know we're not consistent already with things like
COMMENT and LICENSE already in the Makefile, so won't ojbect too much to
where these end up.

Erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                    http://droso.dk