Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:40:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post-install of kernal sources, maxusers max?

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> > The machine can get up 200 SMTP processes and 50 SMTPD processes
> > simulatenously, 256 meg RAM.
> >
> > Increasing maxusers will fix this pb? afaic, maxusers can't be fixed
> > with sysctl.
>
> I think you can up the mbuf related settings while the system is
> running.  Give it a try.  The two sysctls you'll want to fiddle with are:
>
> kern.ipc.nmbclusters
> kern.ipc.nmbufs

	Nope. Those are read only at least on my 4.2-BETA kernel.
I am running into the same problem during my benchmarking. I also thought
that a change in the past made the mbuf cluters tuneable on a running
machine. Hmm maybe I am wrong. However Im not sure that is the problem. I
have:

[open-systems]:/home/chris> netstat -m
5/2000/6144 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        1 mbufs allocated to data
        4 mbufs allocated to packet headers
0/1096/1536 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)

I still have free mbuf's yet get the same error trying to make postfix
bleed to death:

[open-systems]:/home/chris> /usr/bin/time -p smtp-source -s 10000 -l
100000 -m 1000 -c -f chris@localhost -t null@localhost localhost
smtp-source: fatal: socket: No buffer space available

I also get:

[open-systems]:/home/chris> /usr/bin/time -p smtp-source -s 10000 -l
100000 -m 1000 -c -f chris@localhost -t null@localhost localhost
smtp-source: fatal: lost connection while sending sender

I am working on figuring out what the magic combo is to get postfix to
really doll out connections on FreeBSD.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"