Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:41:30 -0600
From:      Novembre <novembre@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: old cruft after source upgrading --- clean install?

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:

> Novembre writes:
>
> >  I have a system which was updated from 6.3-RELEASE to 7.0-RELEASE
> >  some eight months ago via a source upgrade. After that, I rebuilt
> >  all the packages on the system as well. Now, I would like to
> >  update it again to 7.1-RELEASE, and I'm wondering whether I
> >  should do a clean install or just do a source upgrade again. My
> >  question is regarding all the old cruft that remains after the
> >  upgrade and rebuilding of all the packages, as I already know
> >  that there are a bunch of old libraries residing somewhere on the
> >  system.
>
>         Do you have ports-mgmt/portupgrade(-devel) installed?
>        If so, are you aware of "portsclean"?
>        This has worked successfully for me for several years.
>

>                                        Robert Huff

I use portupgrade and portsclean. However, it puts the old libraries in
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg,
and on my system, there are some files in that directory. Since I have
rebuilt all the packages, my
question was how to be sure if that they are not being used anymore and hwo
to get rid of these
old libraries. Is it safe for me to simply delete them?
Also, what are all these unreferenced libraries (according to libchk) doing
on my machine (see the

Thanks :)