Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:19:34 +0000
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        Lloyd Casafranca <lloyd@stream.net.ph>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I love FreeBSD

Lloyd Casafranca wrote:

> uhh how do i make my FreeBSD webserver (apache)
> visible to dreamweaver under an NT box, or better yet,
>
> how do i share directories in UNIX so i can just copy
> from NT to UNIX my html files...
Funnily enough I have users creating content using Dreamweaver that they need to
publish to internal web servers from local disk.

I suggest you set up SAMBA on the target apache server, and set up the
directories which hold your HTML as SAMBA shares. That way, your apache web
server will look like a "normal" Windoze box.

Then, in dreamweaver, define the sites so that the "Server Access" part of the
site description to "local/network", and make that one of the SAMBA shares you
just set up.

If you're new to SAMBA, I recommend you set up SWAT as well, which is a
web-based interface for SAMBA configuration, but _please_ read the documentation
on SAMBA first - at least two of the problems you will want to overcome are:

 o case matching in file name problems - because of a little bit of brain
deadness in Dreamweaver, there is a tendency to use the nasty proper-casing of
windoze file and directory names. The best thing to do is to go for mixed case
file names.

preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
case sensitive = no
mangle case = no

seems to work for me - but that means in your apache.conf you'll have to do
things like

DirectoryIndex index.htm, index.html, Index.htm, Index,html

<sigh>

 o authentication by password between the UNIX SAMBA box and the various Wintel
boxes - see the documentation for the files NT4_PlainPassword.reg and
Win95_PlainPassword.reg (which are registry patches to enable plain-text
passwords).

 o also, to make sure that the server has permission to read all the files
deposited by your users, you can use the

force user = nobody

option when defining your HTML shares.

Oh, and don't worry if even text files end up with the executable bits set, this
is "normal".

Cheers,
Adam.

Try the section on UNIX tutorials at http://www.yahoo.com/ first.