Date:      Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:17:03 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware-tools-freebsd && "No drivers for x.org version: 7.6.5."

On 2011-04-08 10:42, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I have FreeBSD 9-CURRENT up and running in a VMware Workstation 7.x and
> I tried to install the vmware-tools-freebsd of VMware to get the driver
> for Xorg, but it seems that X.org 7.6.5. is not supported. My other VM
> runs a 8-CURRENT with X.org 7.4_1 which works fine.
>
> Any idea how to solve this? Should I go back to X.org 7.4_1 in
> 9-CURRENT? Or should I fake the vmware-tools installer to see X.org as
> /.4 while it is 7.6.5?

X.org 7.5 already has VMware drivers, so you can just install the
x11-drivers/xf86-input-vmmouse and x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware ports.

Alternatively, run "make config" in x11-drivers/xorg-drivers, check the
"VMMOUSE" and "VMWARE" entries, and rebuild this meta-port.

Btw, I have no idea why these drivers are not enabled by default.  They
would seem very useful in a default X.org installation.