Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 18:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Jirsa <jeff@unixconsults.com>
To:        Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@physics.uvt.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone running amavis and sendmail on 4.6-STABLE?

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed different versions of amavis (amavis-perl really outdated
> then amavis-0.3.12.pre8  and finally amavisd-new via ports or direct).
> None of this work with sendmail.
>
> I am trying to scan ONLY incoming mails.
>
> All this installs end up with mail not being delivered because of:
> stat=Deferred: local mailer (/usr/local/sbin/amavis) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
>
> Any help will be very much appreciated.

I have it successfully running with sendmail 8.12.3 and 4.5 release (plus
security patches)... the differences between 4.5 and 4.6 should be
minimal.

I'm not sure how exactly you've got it configured, but what you'll have to
do to scan only incoming mails is to set up a new local delivery agent,
rather than using the milter interface. Using amavisd, sendmail 8.12.x and
milter will scan all emails, you'll probably be better off with
amavis-perl. I'd be able to help you more if I saw the relevant parts of
your sendmail.cf file ... EX_TEMPFAIL seems to suggest something can't be
written in the temp directories, so make sure /var/amavis exists and is
mode 700 (you could even set it to 777 in case there's an ownership issue
for testing)...

I guess to help you more I'd need to see your mailer definitions from
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf

- Jeff

--

Jeff Jirsa