Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:37:50 +0200
From:      lada@ws6303.gud.siemens.at (marino.ladavac@siemens.at)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, petrov@owlnet.rice.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Tue Jul 15 06:57:22 MET 1997
> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:32:41 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Sam Carter <petrov@owlnet.rice.edu>
> To: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux
>
> On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Sam Carter wrote:
> >
> > > I have an x86 box running Win95 and I want to dual boot into a Unix
> > > flavor.  What are the chief differences between FreeBSD and Linux?  I
> > > just looked through the FreeBSD faq, but couldn't find anything
> > > comparing the two.
> >
> > Primarily:
> >
> > 1 standard distribution.
> > 1000+ preported (and in many cases precompiled) programs ready for your
> > use.
> > This great mailing list for support :)
>
> You are not answering my question.  What about a comparison between the
> two?  What are differences?  Advantages and disadvantages of each?  I may
> not like Win95 but I see the advantage to some (simplistic interface,
> broad application base).  I realize that y'all may be FreeBSD fans but I
> can't imagine that all the Linux users are mentally impaired.  There must
> be some advantages to each.

Advantages are mostly in the eye of the beholder.  Apparently the people
on this list find that FreeBSD offers them enough over Linux so that they
are actually using FreeBSD and not Linux.

Now, what these advantages are to each of the list members, that's the hard
one :)

Please also note that very few of the people here actually run Linux in
parallel and are capable of a real comparison between the two.  I am
certainly not one of them (and I shall never again install Linux on any of
my machines--it is a personal matter, though--and the fact that FreeBSD has
other obvious advantages--for some of them see above--is an added bonus in
my case).

/Marino