Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 21:44:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Adrian Li <unixwise@unforgettable.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EIDE hard disk

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Adrian Li wrote:

> hi all
>
> just wonder if the current version of  FreeBSD 2.2.x work fine work Mode
> 4 E-IDE hard disk or not, coz I have a copy of FreeBSD 2.1.5, however it
> couldn't recongised my 3.2G E-IDE hard disk. it just panic when I boot
> up the 'boot' disk.

No, it's probably recognized, just not set up properly.   Move your disk
onto your primary controller and do the following:

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

For the record, the IDE disk driver in FreeBSD isn't yet PIO optimized,
although a project is available that will run Mode 4 disks in Mode 4.  Let
me know if you're interested and are good at making backups.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo