Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:13:14 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        David Jackson <djackson452@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Severe instabilities and system lockups

Hi--

On Mar 8, 2010, at 8:52 AM, David Jackson wrote:
> I am still having severe problems with severe system instabilities with FreeBSD and have had these problrms in 7.1 and 8.0. The system randomly locks up, it appears applications lock up when they access the USb disk. Also, when accessing the USB disk, the entire system lockup often for minutes. Performance with accessing USB disks is horrendous,. it took 7 hours to copy a directory that was 200 MB. Any program that accesses the USB disk tend to freeze for minutes, and often the entire system becomes unresponsive for minutes. Overall FreeBSD here is characterized by severe instabilities, ive had better performance from Windows 98 systems. The fact that the entire system freezes up, this should not happen, a well designed system will not lock up the entire OS when accessing disk.
>
> Are there any diagnostic tools uch as getting a log of tranmissions on USB and probe it, ,or finmd out what code it is lockilng up on ?Has anyone else seen these problems with USB disks?

You've asked the same question multiple times, but there is sufficient lack of details that you're not going to get good feedback.  Put a dmesg from a clean boot, output of "usbdevs -v", and maybe minimal testing with "diskinfo -t /dev/DISK" or "dd if=/dev/DISK of=/dev/null bs=64k" to see your effective transfer rates onto the web somewhere, and email links to this information.

Also note that if you are unhappy with FreeBSD, by all means, feel free to use something else.  You may also feel free to spare the list your opinions WRT a comparision to Win98.

Regards,
--
-Chuck