Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:25:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
To:        Ralph <wildjeep01@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot boot 5.3 after power failure - major bug?

it was said:

> --- stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > type the

> > 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel
> > >>

> > >Oh man I hat keyboard shortcuts. just pasted the
> > wrong one
> > >again.
> > >
> > >0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel   Yup this is the
> > one... I hope
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. I had tried that and kept
> > getting the
> > "invalid format" error. I am puzzled by the fact
> > that I can get
> > a directory list, but the boot loader thinks the
> > format is
> > wrong. Also it seems to be looking in /kernel and
> > not
> > /boot/kernel/.
> > To work around the Disk 2 problem, I downloaded
> > FreeSBIE and ran
> > fsck from that. / reports as clean, but the box
> > still does not
> > boot. /usr and /home report HUGE numbers of
> > uncorrectable errors
> > and bad blocks. Tonight I am going to run SpinRite
> > on the disk
> > to see if the power outage really damaged the disk.
> > (If it did,
> > this will be the first time since the MFM/RLL disk
> > days!)
> > I will report the result of that test. Right now, I
> > am thinking
> > a power loss shutdown of 5.3 makes a system
> > unrecoverable, but
> > more of these tests are required before reaching
> > that
> > conclusion.
>
> Actually - I'd have to contradict that.  I've been
> running 5.3 on my fileserver on the home network, and
> during the last few nasty storms my UPS didn't
> survive, and died off 5 times in a week (yes, I
> replaced it), and each time FreeBSD came back up like
> a champ - no lost files (that I could find.. .yet) or
> anything! <knocks on wood>.
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > stheg

Hello,

Thanks for that information. I have reached that conclusion
myself based on two more tests. Both those times the system came
up fine.
The time the system did break is very strange. I ran a disk
surface diagnostic and the platters are fine. The strange thing
is I can mount the drive in another 5.3 system and read the
files, but I cannot boot up the drive because I get an error
that says "Invalid Format." Clearly something is broken in the
boot process such that the process cannot recognize the
filesystem type eventhough the data (except for some files in
/var and /home) are intact. This seems to be similar to the
problem that cell posted about that prompted my test in the
first place. Odd that such a specific thing should break.
Oh, well. Not the oddest thing I've seen an OS do by a longshot.

Best regards,

stheg