Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:29:59 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        pran@procsys.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Mapping -2

> Hi,
>
>  I am trying to write a PCI ethernet driver for FreeBSD 3.4 release.

Will you folks please give up and move to 4.x?  3.x is *dead*. 8)

> I have some  questions
>
>  1. How can I convert physical address to virtual address . What I want
> is to read the physical address from the device register  and to copy it
> to host memory. From my earlier post  I found that I can use vtopys
> macro to convert virtual to physical address. Now I want to do the
> reverse.

You don't do it like this.  Firstly, you shouldn't use vtophys, you should
be using busdma.  Secondly, a physical page can appear in more than
one virtual location.  Typically your ethernet hardware will have a
descriptor associated with each buffer, and you need to use the
descriptor to backtrack to your control structure which references the
actual virtual address you care about.

> 2. What are things should I do if I want the driver to work on alpha
> platform also.

a) Move to 4.x
b) Use the busspace and busdma interfaces