Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:16:43 -0700
From:      Nick Pavlica <linicks@gmail.com>
To:        "em1897@aol.com" <em1897@aol.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.x Opteron Question

  I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one working on Saturday.  I
understand the business aspect of things, I have business that rely on
this technology as well.  The developers "Robert W."... don't owe us
anything because we are not paying them.  We didn't marry into there
family, and didn't pull them out of a burning building.  Without the
free work that they have contributed, the work that I have
contributed, and the thousands of others that have donated there time
and money we wouldn't be able to exploit there work for our gain.  I
feel that it's important to give back, and clearly you do as well or
you wouldn't be helping people on this list.  I believe that this is
reason enough to help the 5.x effort.
  We could choke everyone of the developers, but the fact remains that
they are the developers of FreeBSD, and they are moving forward with
these technologies.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with staying on
4.x, and I know that you have to do what is right for you.  What I'm
advocating is that 5.x currently performs well enough to meet the
performance needs for many organizations and can be used in production
systems.  It's also important to work on the problems at hand so that
when 6.x is release it's what you and many others are expecting from
it.  I may sound like a politician, but as an Engineer and a
Businessman I have grown accustom to looking at the bigger picture.
When you test drive a car you are looking at more than how fast you
can go from stop light to stop light.  What is the fuel mileage,
warranty, cost, color, etc.  This is precisely how/why I got involved
with this community and moved away from my RedHat roots.  The funny
thing is that I was making the exact same argument that you are
against 5.x a few months ago to my team after comparing the disk I/O
performance between 4.11 and 5.3.  With some help from members of this
community I was able to improve performance dramatically on 5.3 and
noticed further improvement on 5.4.  FreeBSD will continue to improve,
but it isn't going to magically happen.
  It's likely that we will not completely agree with each other on
this topic, but enjoy the being able to discuss both perspectives.

--Nick