Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:53:44 +0200
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        Kelly Black <kjblack@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with /boot/loader

On 12/23/-58 20:59, Kelly Black wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with loader. I recently upgraded from 6_rel to 7_rel.
> Now when I install world there is a problem booting.
>
> Here is what I do:
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=BLACK
> make installkernel KERNCONF=BLACK
>
> At this point I can reboot and all is good. After boot I install the new world:
>
> cd /usr/src
> mergemaster -p
> reboot into single user mode
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld
> mergemaster
>
> Now when I reboot there is a problem. I get an error that the system
> cannot boot. Part of it looks like this:
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>
> If I boot from a live disk and replace /boot/loader with
> /boot/loader.old it boots up fine and everything looks good. A new
> world and a new kernel. I would be grateful for any help or any
> pointers.
>
> Sincerely,
> Kel
>
> PS I do not do anything special with my loader config files:
>
> $ cat loader.conf

Kelly,

the /boot/loader.conf file does not come into play at that stage. Early
in the loader code, loader needs to figure out, which disk (BIOS device)
has been booted from. Until loader knows which device was booted up,
it's unable to access any files (even loader.conf) on your boot device.

As I've never seen such a problem while upgrading any system, I suspect
your problem must be settings specific. Can you show me your kernel
config or are you using a plain vanilla GENERIC? Which arch are we
talking about?

As I'm currently investigating another boot problem (but earlier in the
boot chain), I'll check boot logic in the source code and may check for
your issue, too, at that time, so it's just one effort. But please stay
patient for some days, as I'm currently too busy.

Volker