Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 2015 21:27:41 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The saga continues

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 08:25:06 -0453.75, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> When I went to reboot, the UEFI 'BIOS' reported
> 'missing MBR record' & hung there.

Do you have "MBR legacy boot" enabled or forced? When using GPT
volumes, one of them has to be a "boot partition". Here you can
find a good illustration of the steps involved:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html#_the_new_standard_gpt

By the way, it's more like either "BIOS" _or_ "UEFI". ;-)

> There were/are *no* explicit options
> to boot from a USB drive, although that worked during the install w/
> virgin HDD's, it came up w/ a very DOS-y screen which listed 'FreeBSD'
> as a boot option.

That depends on the boot order specified in the UEFI. When
a "higher priority" media was found bootable, no other media
will be tried. Check in the UEFI setup if you can change the
boot order, for example to "USB, optical, HDD".

When the disks are empty, a boot attempt won't work, so the
UEFI decides to look at other possible boot sources, such as
USB sticks or optical media. This step will not be taken when
the HDD is "first priority" and is bootable.

> Is there
> some magic combo of key-strokes to get it to try to boot from the USB
> stick anyway ?

Depends. If I remember correctly, PF12 during POST (or what it
is called like in UEFI) will show a screen to select the boot
source. Of course - only if the UEFI manufacturer has implemented
this interactive selection.

> I want to boot into a shell & zap the 1st 1 GB or so of
> each drive & try again, a procedure I had to use early this summer
> during a NetBSD install, which *did* work AOK & allowed me to complete a
> successful install.

A few kB usually are enough - just kill the partition table and
the boot loader, located at the beginning of the disk. It will
then appear as "empty". :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany