Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:33:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Lamb.net>
To:        freebsd@successbbs.com (Freebsd)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI SCSI Installations Woes

> I have an Adaptec 7870 Plug 'n Play Fast SCSI-II motherboard. FreeBSD,
> is for some reason, not probing/finding the built-in SCSI controller.
> The closest device to the AIC7870, is the AIC2940, so I disabled all the
> other devices, except for AHC1, to no avail. Any suggestions? Btw- It is
> an Iwill P55TV, with a Pentium 166 MHz CPU, 512k Pipelined Burst L2
> cache, 32m EDO RAM, and a 3com 5790 PCI ethercard.

The normal Adaptec 2940 is based on the AIC-7870. But Adaptec sells now
the 2940 based on the AIC-7880 (Ultra version) Even they don't advertise
it, even the normal 2940 is Ultra.

Does your motherboard show any PCI device with a message like "No driver
attached" ? If not, the card is not really visable for FreeBSD.

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
Lamb Art Internet Services    ||  http://www.Lamb.net/