Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 14:45:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Ricardo Bernardini <rbernardini@hotmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aio Functions

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Ricardo Bernardini wrote:
> >
> > Well !! That's far more than the things I'm having trouble with!! I'm not
> > being able to make ONE asynchronous read. I've tried the aio functions with
> > file I/O and it worked fine, I've also tried the socket I/O with read() and
> > it worked fine too. But when I issue the read to the async queue an try to
> > get its status aio_error returns -1 and sets errno to EINVAL.
> > Anyway this is a test program just to become familiar with the fucntions
> > before actually using them, so I really need more information about them,
> > and the aiocb_t struct.
>
> Be aware that aio is not implemented for all things that you can get
> an fd for. It was originally implemented *only* for files, though I
> was under the impression that support for sockets was later added.

Is this accurate?  I thought that you can do an aio_read() for anything
that you can do a read() (except for DTYPE_VNODE descriptors, an aiod just
latches onto the process fd table and address space then sets up a uio and
calls the *fp->f_ops->fo_read).

For the 8 months I've been playing with the aio, the sockets have always
been there, but the way that they worked left much to be desired IMHO.

-Chris