Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:32:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@FreeBSD.ORG>, Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which LAN PCCARD for FreeBSD (no PAO!)

If I might step in here for a moment...

It sounds to me like we're looking at the tail end of a long-standing
communications problem, and we probably need to work on resolving it
as the first order of business before even necessarily discussing code
and what needs to be done with it.

It's not even a particularly easy problem to solve, and I'm open to
suggestions on it.  When I went to Japan last year to discuss these
and other issues with the PAO team, for example, I returned with an
agreement that Tatsumi Hosokawa should be given commit priviledges
immediately in order to begin a "closer relationship" as far as the
PAO stuff is concerned.  I returned, I got Tatsumi commit priviledges
and, as far as I've been able to see, absolutely nothing happened
after that.  Whoops.

Do I blame Tatsumi for this?  No.  Who I blame is myself for not
setting up a decent framework for future communications, and I can
almost see from here exactly what happened: Tatsumi got his commit
priviledges and a mountain of other work to do somewhat simultaneously,
our best-laid plans then falling apart due to over-committment among
the various people involved (including myself).  Once that happened,
the total lack of communication only further lent the impression that
everyone had lost interest again since clearly nothing was happening.
We didn't go into "problem solving" mode with it and try and figure
out how best to make it happen without Tatsumi-san, we just let the
communications barrier drop back into place and went on to other
things.

I think we need to convene a periodic "working group meeting" if we
want to make real progress here, and I'm willing to fly to Japan a
couple of times a year if that's what it takes to foster closer
cooperation between the teams.  Once we get enough interest generated
on this side of the Pacific, I'm even willing to do the opposite and
fly some of the Japanese folks over here to meet with their
U.S. counterparts (and, if we've get some significant PAO stuff going
in Europe/Australia, we'll bring them over too).  That meeting in
Japan seemed very promising, but we didn't follow it up with another
one to make sure that everything we'd discussed was actually happening
and on track.  We need to do better at following up.

We've also got the USENIX Annual Technical conference event coming up
which should bring a lot of these people together, including the
newconfig folks given that they're presenting a paper on it in the
FREENIX track.  I think the various core folk who are interested in
this simply need to attend that talk and discuss what newconfig has
become and what its overall goals are with the presenters afterwards,
seeing for themselves if it's truly everything people here seem to
think it is (and is not).  I don't think it's accurate to say that
there's "no interest" here in what the Japanese folks have done,
simply a lot of ignorance as to what specifically it *is* that they
have done. :-)

Each and every one of you who's going to be at USENIX should therefore
make a point of contacting me once you arrive in Monterey, CA.  I'll
be at the Doubletree hotel (where the conference is actually taking
place, so that should be easy to remember) and you should definitely
check in with me anyway if you're presenting a paper since I'll need
to check you off my list of people not to send a search party after if
you don't show up (ah, the joys of chairing the FREENIX track).

Somewhat on a similar but not directly related topic, I think it's
time to hold another FreeBSD PR event in Japan.  Wasn't Satoshi going
to speak at the next one, even?  I seem to remember that he agreed to,
anyway, and I'd be happy to go along and say a few words as well.  I'd
also welcome suggestions on where to hold it; please contact me off
the list if you've some ideas and we'll discuss projected costs,
staffing requirements, etc.

Thanks!

- Jordan