Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:51:51 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPPoA section of FreeBSD Handbook

On Tue 2012-11-20 11:49:38 UTC+1100, andrew clarke (mail@ozzmosis.com) wrote:

> In the meantime I've switched to using mpd5 (/usr/ports/net/mpd5) and
> /sbin/ipnat. So far, so good:
>
> # ifconfig ng0
> ng0: flags=88d1<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,NOARP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1492
>         inet 124.170.51.116 --> 203.215.7.251 netmask 0xffffffff

Incidentally the PPPoA section of the FreeBSD is very out of date:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoa.html

The ambiguously named net/pppoa port in section 28.6.1 has been marked
as broken since 2009. (Ambiguous since it's only for a particular
brand of USB ASDL modem.)

In section 28.6.2 the example provided is a config file for mpd 4.x
which does not work in mpd 5.x.

net/mpd4 was deleted from the ports tree 11 months ago.

net/mpd5 doesn't seem to support PPPoA, only PPPoE. I could find no
reference to PPPoA in the manual or source code.

The net/pptpclient port listed in section 28.6.3 does build but issues
errors when run:

# pptp 192.168.1.1 iinet
/bin/ip: not found
/bin/ip: not found

Plus it's not clear what advantage it's supposed to have over the
regular /usr/sbin/ppp. The pptp source code doesn't mention PPPoA,
despite what the FreeBSD handbook suggests.

Regards
Andrew