Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:02:26 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        d@delphij.net, Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>
Cc:        Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org, d@delphij.net
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Skeleton jail (rc.d feature proposal)

Quoting Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net> (from Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:52:50 -0800):

> Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>> Xin LI wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Ok, some local users has prodded me in committing the "skeleton jail"
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Can you describe how this differs from the functionality provided by the
>> ezjail port? (/usr/ports/sysutils/ezjail/)
>
> I think they have different targets.  Skeleton jail is more lightweight
> which is only very few lines of changes to the base system (i.e. the aim
> is to provide convenient shortcut for common tasks, not to be a complete
> solution); the functionality provided by skeleton jail, on the other
> hand, could be useful building blocks to ezjail.

Ezjail already has this skeleon feature. It's used for every jail you =20
create with ezjail. You can then upadate this skeleton, and you update =20
the basesystem of all jails at once. Your solution looks a little bit =20
more generic, as you can use a different skeleton for each jail. The =20
make installskel part could be compatible with ezjail, but I'm not =20
sure if the rc.d part could be used easily by ezjail. Ezjail is =20
nullfs-mounting (RO) the skeleton into each jail, and it has symlinks =20
from the normal directory layout to the "<jail>/basejail/..." =20
location. It creates the basejail by doing a full install and then =20
removing some parts.

Maybe you can have a look at ezjail to see the requirements of it? =20
It's simple to setup, you just need to specify the path to the =20
location where you want all jails to be installed to, and then you can =20
install a jail (it does a buildworld if ou do not tell to skip this =20
part, e.g. becuse you already did one yourself).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
God said it, I believe it and that's all there is to it.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137