Date:      Sat, 09 Nov 1996 19:04:22 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=" (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI system becomes broken in -current?

>Tagged queuing always work with it before recent days. I don't know about
>any firmware upgrade needed for this drive. BTW, it is almost impossible
>to get firmware upgrade in Russia or snail mail will costs so much money as
>compared to new device price.
>How do you know that firmware upgrade needed for this drive?
>Could you please resend me your sources?

Drive firmware upgrades are usually ftp-able and are downloaded to the
drive on the user's system.  As for my sources, Gary Palmer mentioned some
time ago that his 1060 would not work with tagged queueing and there is an
entry in one of the Linux hardware FAQs about this drive.

>Needless to say that it works OK under Win95.

They probably have a quirk entry for it.  Either that, or there is a new
bug in the driver.  The changes I made shouldn't have effected tagged
queueing, so the bug should be reproducible with tagged queueing disabled.

>I mention this fact because we need to put some warning about
>firmware upgrade needed for this drive, or we'll have many users
>complaints, this model is very popular at least in Russia.

Sure, sure.

>Could you please add device flags to turn tagged queuing on per-drive basis
>instead on for whole controller? My second drive is new IBM disk which
>works well with tagged queueing and I not want to turn it off for this drive
>too.

Don't you read your commit mail?  I added this feature to the new SCSI
branch code last weekend.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations