Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 02:32:51 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: ports for X11 stuff

Mike Smith wrote:

> >  * A question - would it be desirable for X to be installed, by default,
> >  * somewhere *else*, and just symlinked into /usr?  Should it go in
> >  * /usr/local, so that an experienced admin can assign a separate
> >  * filesystem for this?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > Actually, if you can do something like "if /usr/local is a separate
> > filesystem from /usr or a symlink to a directory in a separate
> > filesystem from /usr, then make /usr/X11R6 a symlink into
> > /usr/local/X11R6", that will be great, but that's probably asking too
> > much. :)
>
> It's quite achievable; the question is (as Jordan asked) whether it's
> going to surprise people that *expect* it to be in /usr.

	I think part of the problem here is that different people are talking
about different things. What I was talking about (and pardon me for not
making myself clear) is installing any X related ports into
/usr/local/X11R6/*, not installing all of X into /usr/local. My
reasoning for this is simple. I like to back up /usr/local (et al) so
that if my system goes belly up I can rebuild most of /usr from the
default distribution and then paste /usr/local back in, thus saving
myself hours and days of work. Others have mentioned the desire to make
/usr/whatever ro, and other valid security concerns.

	Bowing to the "we don't want to confuse anybody" argument, I would
settle for an option in /etc/make.conf. We have X11BASE now, how about
X11PORTS?  Yes, I realize this isn't really our problem, we've always
done it that way, yadda yadda yadda. However this is an excellent case
of what seems to me like a pretty simple change that would bring a lot
of joy. :)

Flame away,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest