Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:50:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        Jakob Alvermark <jakob@teligent.se>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVDs [and MPEG decoder hardware]

> I'd be happy to port/write one for the REALMagic Hollyword Plus MPEG
> card.  Can you get docs on how it works out of the manufacturer?

I think you'd be better off working with the Creative Labs card since
they appear to be selling more DVD drive+decoder card combos than
REALMagic is.  Getting actual information out of CL is, of course, yet
another exercise in dealing with Taiwan but, if you persevere, who
knows?  The only contact I have there is "Vincent Cheng Kok Hoong"
<khcheng@ctlsg.creaf.com>, Senior Engineer in the AUDIO/VLSI products
group and you're welcome to drop him a line.  If you manage to get
more response out of him than I did and feel you have enough technical
information to proceed, I would be more than happy to send you one of
their DVD kits courtesy of FreeBSD, Inc.

Hell, if you get on a roll, we could do the same again for REALMagic,
though I don't even have so much as a contact address over there so
there's also that to consider if nobody else does either. :(

- Jordan