Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 03:34:48 +0000
From:      "Thomas Shaw" <zeidaot@mail.conline.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, sahmad@interlog.com (Shazad Ahmad)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD question

Date:          Sat, 1 Jun 1996 23:25:57 -0400
To:            questions@FreeBSD.org
From:          sahmad@interlog.com (Shazad Ahmad)
Subject:       FreeBSD question

Dear Support, I am having some difficulty with FreeBSD 2.10 in that whenever
I log in as root, I cannot run X-windows via the startx command.  The error
I get is 'command not found'.  However, when I log in as any other user and
type startx it works.  I have tried going to the directory containing the
startx file/command but it doesnt work as long as I'm longed in as root.  A
few other commands also fail to work when I login as root. This is despite
the fact that the files have rwx permissions for all users.

Please let me know if this is a known problem or some type of configuration
issue, etc.

The simple solution is to edit your .cshrc and add the path to the
startx program.. /usr/X11R6/bin.