Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2014 04:32:51 -0400
From:      J Parsons <jkltrfjskalfds@outlook.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 partially successful

In the FreeBSD handbook=2C the correct command to upgrade is

 freebsd-update -r 9.2-RELEASE upgrade

but I may used=20

 freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.2-RELEASE

in the first try=2C resulting into failed upgrade.  After cleaning /var/db/=
freebsd-update=2C I repeated the whole procedure with the correct command a=
bove=2C now all the files that I checked indicate they are in 9.2-RELEASE-p=
3 now.  For example:

in the file /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh it reads:
TYPE=3D"FreeBSD"
REVISION=3D"9.2"
BRANCH=3D"RELEASE-p3"

and the change I made into /etc/hosts during the upgrade merging process *i=
s* in the new /etc/hosts now. =20

Furthermore the kernel contains the new version:
 # strings kernel | grep RELEASE|grep 9
@(#)FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Sat Jan 11 03:25:02 UTC 2014
FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Sat Jan 11 03:25:02 UTC 2014
9.2-RELEASE-p3

However=2C  uname still shows the old version:
 # uname -a
FreeBSD localhost.localdomain 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: T=
ue Dec  4 09:23:10 UTC 2012     root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/s=
rc/sys/GENERIC  amd64

and when doing  freebsd-update=2C it still wants to upgrade me to 9.1-RELEA=
SE-p10.

What is still not upgraded?

Or in another word=2C where does uname and freebsd-update gets the current =
version number?
 		 	   		  =