Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 06:13:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        pmartin@vt.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Digiboard support

pmartin@vt.edu writes:

> I am currently evaluating several different unixes for use as a modem pool
> server using a Digiboard multiport serial IO card.  I was wondering if drivers
> for the Digiboard Xem seriers controllers exist?  If so, could you please tell
> me if they support Digiboards FEP technology.  Also, if you could inform me of
> or direct me to any source of performance information related to this, I would
> greatly appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

We are having some discussions with DigiBoard going on right now.
Drivers for the FEP boards require signing a non disclosure agreement
to receive the programming information.

They have permitted a Linux driver developed using the non-disclosure
agreement to be made available under the GPL and so there is every
reason to expect they will permit a FreeBSD driver under the less
restrictive Berkeley licence to be made available.

However, the wheels turn slowly.

In the meantime Andrew Chernov is working on a "Riscom" driver for
another intelligent serial board.  If you would like details of
that board let us know.

If you choose another Unix because of the availability of DigiBoard
product please let us know so that we can turn up the heat.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936