Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:45:24 +0000
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "B. Estrade" <estrabd@gmail.com>
Cc:        perl@freebsd.org, portmgr <portmgr@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status of perl 5.10

B. Estrade wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:07:51AM +0000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Can someone give us an update on what is the status of preparation for
>> importing perl 5.10?  Who is working on it; what are the remaining
>> obstacles; what can we do in future to avoid the delays?
>>
>> Without pointing fingers at individuals, it has become quite a disgrace
>> to us as a project that we still do not have this in the ports tree
>> after more than a year, and we'd like to determine how we can fix this ASAP.
>
> It looks like 5.8 was recently updated to 5.8.9. As a big time Perl
> user and list lurker, I can say that in general there seem to be very
> few people clamoring for 5.10. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be
> available, but since it is meant to be more of a path to Perl 6 rather
> than a maintenance release of the current Perl standard version (i.e.,
> 5.8), I don't think it is quite the disgrace you make it out to be.

It does come up fairly often on the mailing lists I read, and given that
I know there were plans last year for working on the import, something
clearly changed or went wrong with those plans.

I agree that continuing to keep up with future development is also
important.  Thanks for your offer of help, hopefully the
perl@freebsd.org community will be able to take advantage of it.

Kris