Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:02:45 -0400
From:      Michael Conlen <m@obmail.net>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Subject:   Re: JDK1.5 build and linux-sun-java1.4 problems

On Apr 23, 2006, at 5:35 PM, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> Just the usual stuff:
>     - make sure linprocfs is mounted.
>     - don't run the build in a jail.
>
> If all else fails, you can download the diablo-jdk1.5 to build the
> ports based jdk1.5.

Check and check. I found it works fine with the GENERIC kernel, but
not with the kernel where I've commented out a lot of unnecessary
stuff and added some memory size options and SMP. I also commented
out makeoptions	 DEBUG=-g. Once ran the build with the GENERIC kernel
the jdk15 runs fine, but I'd like to understand what's going on with
the system with the custom kernel.

Diff below

# diff AD GENERIC
21a22,23
 > cpu           I486_CPU
 > cpu           I586_CPU
23c25
< ident         AD
---
 > ident         GENERIC
28,33c30
< #makeoptions  DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1)
debug symbols
<
< options         MAXDSIZ="(1024*1024*1024)"
< options         DFLDSIZ="(1024*1024*1024)"
< options         MAXSSIZ="(2047*1024*1024)"
< options               SMP
---
 > makeoptions   DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1)
debug symbols
80,81c77,78
< #device               atadisk         # ATA disk drives
< #device               ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
---
 > device                atadisk         # ATA disk drives
 > device                ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
83,84c80,81
< #device               atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
< #device               atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
---
 > device                atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
 > device                atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
88,107c85,104
< #device               ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
< #device               ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx
devices
< #device               ahd             # AHA39320/29320 and onboard
AIC79xx devices
< #device               amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
< #device               isp             # Qlogic family
< ##device      ispfw           # Firmware for QLogic HBAs- normally
a module
< #device               mpt             # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
< ##device              ncr             # NCR/Symbios Logic
< #device               sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer
chipsets + those of `ncr')
< #device               trm             # Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U
adapters
<
< #device               adv             # Advansys SCSI adapters
< #device               adw             # Advansys wide SCSI adapters
< #device               aha             # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
< #device               aic             # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI
adapters, AIC-6[23]60.
< #device               bt              # Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster
SCSI adapters
<
< #device               ncv             # NCR 53C500
< #device               nsp             # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
< #device               stg             # TMC 18C30/18C50
---
 > device                ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
 > device                ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard
AIC7xxx devices
 > device                ahd             # AHA39320/29320 and onboard
AIC79xx devices
 > device                amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
 > device                isp             # Qlogic family
 > #device       ispfw           # Firmware for QLogic HBAs- normally
a module
 > device                mpt             # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
 > #device               ncr             # NCR/Symbios Logic
 > device                sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer
chipsets + those of `ncr')
 > device                trm             # Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U
adapters

 > device                adv             # Advansys SCSI adapters
 > device                adw             # Advansys wide SCSI adapters
 > device                aha             # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
 > device                aic             # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI
adapters, AIC-6[23]60.
 > device                bt              # Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster
SCSI adapters

 > device                ncv             # NCR 53C500
 > device                nsp             # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
 > device                stg             # TMC 18C30/18C50
111c108
< #device               ch              # SCSI media changers
---
 > device                ch              # SCSI media changers
113,114c110,111
< #device               sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
< #device               cd              # CD
---
 > device                sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
 > device                cd              # CD
119,120c116,117
< #device               amr             # AMI MegaRAID
< #device               arcmsr          # Areca SATA II RAID
---
 > device                amr             # AMI MegaRAID
 > device                arcmsr          # Areca SATA II RAID
122,128c119,125
< #device               ciss            # Compaq Smart RAID 5*
< #device               dpt             # DPT Smartcache III, IV -
See NOTES for options
< #device               hptmv           # Highpoint RocketRAID 182x
< #device               iir             # Intel Integrated RAID
< #device               ips             # IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID
< #device               mly             # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
< #device               twa             # 3ware 9000 series PATA/SATA
RAID
---
 > device                ciss            # Compaq Smart RAID 5*
 > device                dpt             # DPT Smartcache III, IV -
See NOTES for options
 > device                hptmv           # Highpoint RocketRAID 182x
 > device                iir             # Intel Integrated RAID
 > device                ips             # IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID
 > device                mly             # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
 > device                twa             # 3ware 9000 series PATA/
SATA RAID
131,136c128,133
< #device               aac             # Adaptec FSA RAID
< #device               aacp            # SCSI passthrough for aac
(requires CAM)
< #device               ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
< #device               mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
< #device               pst             # Promise Supertrak SX6000
< #device               twe             # 3ware ATA RAID
---
 > device                aac             # Adaptec FSA RAID
 > device                aacp            # SCSI passthrough for aac
(requires CAM)
 > device                ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
 > device                mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
 > device                pst             # Promise Supertrak SX6000
 > device                twe             # 3ware ATA RAID
164,166c161,163
< #device               cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
< #device               pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
< #device               cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus
---
 > device                cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
 > device                pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
 > device                cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus
169c166
< #device               sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial
ports
---
 > device                sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based
serial ports
172,176c169,173
< #device               ppc
< #device               ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
< #device               lpt             # Printer
< #device               plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
< #device               ppi             # Parallel port interface device
---
 > device                ppc
 > device                ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
 > device                lpt             # Printer
 > device                plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
 > device                ppi             # Parallel port interface
device
185c182
< #device               de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
---
 > device                de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
187,189c184,186
< #device               ixgb            # Intel PRO/10GbE Ethernet Card
< #device               txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
< #device               vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
---
 > device                ixgb            # Intel PRO/10GbE Ethernet Card
 > device                txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
 > device                vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595
(``Vortex'')
194,196c191,193
< #device               bfe             # Broadcom BCM440x 10/100
Ethernet
< #device               bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit
Ethernet
< #device               dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various
workalikes
---
 > device                bfe             # Broadcom BCM440x 10/100
Ethernet
 > device                bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit
Ethernet
 > device                dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and
various workalikes
198,214c195,211
< #device               lge             # Level 1 LXT1001 gigabit
Ethernet
< #device               nge             # NatSemi DP83820 gigabit
Ethernet
< #device               nve             # nVidia nForce MCP on-board
Ethernet Networking
< #device               pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100
(precedence over 'lnc')
< #device               re              # RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/
8110S
< #device               rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
< #device               sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915
(``Starfire'')
< #device               sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems
SiS 900/SiS 7016
< #device               sk              # SysKonnect SK-984x &
SK-982x gigabit Ethernet
< #device               ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link
DFE-550TX)
< #device               ti              # Alteon Networks Tigon I/II
gigabit Ethernet
< #device               tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
< #device               tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170
``EPIC'')
< #device               vge             # VIA VT612x gigabit Ethernet
< #device               vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
< #device               wb              # Winbond W89C840F
< #device               xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'',
``Cyclone'')
---
 > device                lge             # Level 1 LXT1001 gigabit
Ethernet
 > device                nge             # NatSemi DP83820 gigabit
Ethernet
 > device                nve             # nVidia nForce MCP on-board
Ethernet Networking
 > device                pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100
(precedence over 'lnc')
 > device                re              # RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/
8110S
 > device                rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
 > device                sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915
(``Starfire'')
 > device                sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems
SiS 900/SiS 7016
 > device                sk              # SysKonnect SK-984x &
SK-982x gigabit Ethernet
 > device                ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link
DFE-550TX)
 > device                ti              # Alteon Networks Tigon I/II
gigabit Ethernet
 > device                tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
 > device                tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170
``EPIC'')
 > device                vge             # VIA VT612x gigabit Ethernet
 > device                vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
 > device                wb              # Winbond W89C840F
 > device                xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'',
``Cyclone'')
217c214
< #device               cs              # Crystal Semiconductor
CS89x0 NIC
---
 > device                cs              # Crystal Semiconductor
CS89x0 NIC
219,226c216,223
< #device               ed              # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra,
3c503, DS8390 cards
< #device               ex              # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10
and Pro/10+
< #device               ep              # Etherlink III based cards
< #device               fe              # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
< #device               ie              # EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507,
StarLAN 10 etc.
< #device               lnc             # NE2100, NE32-VL Lance
Ethernet cards
< #device               sn              # SMC's 9000 series of
Ethernet chips
< #device               xe              # Xircom pccard Ethernet
---
 > device                ed              # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra,
3c503, DS8390 cards
 > device                ex              # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10
and Pro/10+
 > device                ep              # Etherlink III based cards
 > device                fe              # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
 > device                ie              # EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507,
StarLAN 10 etc.
 > device                lnc             # NE2100, NE32-VL Lance
Ethernet cards
 > device                sn              # SMC's 9000 series of
Ethernet chips
 > device                xe              # Xircom pccard Ethernet
232,236c229,233
< #device               wlan            # 802.11 support
< #device               an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11
wireless NICs.
< #device               awi             # BayStack 660 and others
< #device               ral             # Ralink Technology RT2500
wireless NICs.
< #device               wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol
802.11 wireless NICs.
---
 > device                wlan            # 802.11 support
 > device                an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11
wireless NICs.
 > device                awi             # BayStack 660 and others
 > device                ral             # Ralink Technology RT2500
wireless NICs.
 > device                wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol
802.11 wireless NICs.
257,270c254,267
< #device               uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
< #device               ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
< #device               ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface
(USB 2.0)
< #device               usb             # USB Bus (required)
< ##device              udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
< #device               ugen            # Generic
< #device               uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
< #device               ukbd            # Keyboard
< #device               ulpt            # Printer
< #device               umass           # Disks/Mass storage -
Requires scbus and da
< #device               ums             # Mouse
< #device               ural            # Ralink Technology RT2500USB
wireless NICs
< #device               urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
< #device               uscanner        # Scanners
---
 > device                uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
 > device                ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
 > device                ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface
(USB 2.0)
 > device                usb             # USB Bus (required)
 > #device               udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
 > device                ugen            # Generic
 > device                uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
 > device                ukbd            # Keyboard
 > device                ulpt            # Printer
 > device                umass           # Disks/Mass storage -
Requires scbus and da
 > device                ums             # Mouse
 > device                ural            # Ralink Technology
RT2500USB wireless NICs
 > device                urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
 > device                uscanner        # Scanners
272,277c269,274
< #device               aue             # ADMtek USB Ethernet
< #device               axe             # ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
< #device               cdce            # Generic USB over Ethernet
< #device               cue             # CATC USB Ethernet
< #device               kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
< #device               rue             # RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet
---
 > device                aue             # ADMtek USB Ethernet
 > device                axe             # ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
 > device                cdce            # Generic USB over Ethernet
 > device                cue             # CATC USB Ethernet
 > device                kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
 > device                rue             # RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet
280,282c277,279
< #device               firewire        # FireWire bus code
< #device               sbp             # SCSI over FireWire
(Requires scbus and da)
< #device               fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-
standard!)
---

--
Michael Conlen