Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:09:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        That Doug Guy <tiller@connectnet.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org" <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot mgr help please: DOS, FreeBSD and OS/2 on the same disk

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, That Doug Guy wrote:

> 	I want to install FreeBSD on my home machine so that I have a
> test/learning platform for myself.  My one and only hard disk is a Western
> Digital Caviar 1.6G EIDE drive.  I currently have OS/2 on the disk in the
> following configuration:
>
> Primary Partition:  OS/2 Boot Manager
> Primary Partition: C: drive with DOS
> Logical Partition:  D:  Free space, intended home for FreeBSD
> Logical Partition:  E:  OS/2 system
> Logical Partition:  F:  OS/2 data (HPFS formatted)

Line 3 is wrong: FreeBSD requires it's own partition type.

> 	This system has worked well for me for 2+ years, and now I want to
> add FreeBSD to my happy family. :)  However, in order to install FreeBSD
> I had to go through some pretty complex gymnastics with FIPS, etc. which
> resulted in the loss of my DOS partition (thank goodness for backups :).  I
> did however finally get a FreeBSD system up and running, but the problem
> came when I tried to boot OS/2.  My system had changed to:
>
> Primary Partition:  OS/2 Boot Manager
> Primary Partition: C: drive with DOS
> Primary Partition:  FreeBSD
> Logical Partition:  D:  OS/2 system
> Logical Partition:  E:  OS/2 data (HPFS formatted)

FreeBSD had better not be on a primary partition, it better be on it's own
slice.....

> 	This prevented OS/2 from booting because of course everything
> was on the "wrong" drive.  I tried using OS/2's fdisk to create a fake D:
> partition with some free space from the C: partition, but ran into the "3+1"
> rule, so it wouldn't use the free space that I allocated.

I've run into this :)

I would suggest buying a cheap drive and put FreeBSD on that.  This way,
you avoid the nasties of:

.  moving drive letters
.  That pesky 500mb can't-boot-above-it limit
.  Running out of diskspace because you made the partition too small

That's what I did and I love it!  And the OS/2 boot manager can work with
it too!

:)