Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 11:40:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jan Koum <jkb@ethereal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugging Kernel/System Crashes, can anyone help??

On Wednesday,  3 May 2000 at 18:59:36 -0700, Jan Koum wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 11:11:36AM +0930, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, then you're in better shape.  I assume you installed the stripped
>> version of the kernel (it's default, despite my protests)
>
> what are some pro's and con's in this case?

I assume you had intended to copy the others, so I've put them back.

Pro having only one (debug) kernel:

1.  If space is tight, you can save overall space.  You need to keep
    the kernel.debug somewhere.  If you make it the boot kernel, you
    use a total of 10 MB.  Otherwise, even if you make clean, you end
    up having a 10 MB kernel.debug somewhere and a 2.5 MB kernel in
    the root file system.
2.  savecore always saves the correct kernel.  If you have to move it
    manually from wherever you keep it, there's a big chance for
    making mistakes.  I've done it often enough.

Con:

1.  If you're short of space on the root file system, the additional
    7.5 MB can hurt.  You can plan against this, of course, by
    installing larger root file systems.

There's a separate issue about whether to build kernels with debug
symbols by default.  That takes a lot more space (30 MB as compared to
about 8).  But if you have a debug kernel, I don't see any reason to
install a stripped version.

Greg