Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:59:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.aipo.gov.au>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Pathing to SCSI/FC devices.

Hi Matthew,

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Yes, we very much has considered this. What's your issue about this, per se?

Well, the driver for asking was my management asking if FreeBSD supported
this, as we're going to do it on AIX (with the Dual Pathing Option) and
with Solaris (running Veritas which I need to investigate more).  We're
reasonably big on redundancy here and we're running a number of critical
systems on FreeBSD (DNS, WINS, DHCP, primary webserver, PDF server, etc).

> Right now there's no framework code to directly exploit or prohibit multiple
> paths to the same disk, whether via Fibre Channel or SCSI.

Ok, but I suspect it would get a trifle upset if I started duplicating
LUNS. :)  I really don't know how much work this would be but would be
interested in helping.

I'm not a kernel hacker but I can offer testing resources (well, in about
a month or so when the box arrives) for SCSI and possibly Fibre Channel if
someone has code.

Carl.