Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:04:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Apostolos Makridis <pmakridi@bbn.com>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: netscape-communicator-4.04.us

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Russell L. Carter wrote:

> }> Are the binaries available under 2.2.5 FreeBSD for Netscape v4.04 (US) ?
> }
> }Yes.  Please see ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/netscape
> }
>
> The Makefile indicates linux & US.   However, if for some odd
> reason you wanted US encrypted SSL with the native freebsd version,
> fortify works fine with Nav 4.04, at least.  I see they are
> releasing strong S/MIME versions today for W32, with Unix
> (including FreeBSD) to follow.  www.fortify.net.

Russell, I haven't paid enough attention to seciry with respect to
Netscape; could you make any kind of comment about the security (as for as
you know it) of Netscape when run with Fortify, the FreeBSD netscape?

Actually, I wanted to buy Word Perfect for Linux, which I thought would
probably run under FreeBSD, but the vendor won't sell it except thru
Netscape (giving your credit card ID that way) and I've been too skeptical
to do that.  Does Fortify give any better guarantee of security?  Not
legal guarantee (I'm sure no lawyer), I mean, is it really safe?

Thanks.

> Russell

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |