Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 02:12:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Subject:   Re: arb patch to tell who installed port and when

On 24-Aug-99 Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>  * From: Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
>
>  * Well, the theory being that ifpeople think it's a good idea, I'd then
>  * propose adding an option to pkg*, which isn't too important.  For the
>  * moment, it's reasonably arbitrary to write a script to work this out, and
>  * even manual is useful.
>
> I think it is useful, but let's design the whole thing first.  Here
> are the comments/questions that popped up to my head:
>
>  @ Do something sensible if ${USER} is not defined.  (Maybe use
>    `whoami` in that case)

`whoami` doesn't return euid. I know of no way to obtain this other than in a
C program (using geteuid() and other calls to resolve the value of that call.)

>  @ What will pkg_info show?  Make sure it doesn't coredump if the
>    files are not there. :)

pkg_info might, with an option (-u?), display in a column (-I form) or a field
(default) who installed the program.

>  @ I'm assuming pkg_add will create a new "user" file with the
>    appropriate information (same criteria: $USER if defined, `whoami`
>    if not), and a new "when" file at the installation date.

Yeah.. it'd have to mirror bsd.port.mk's default installation method (if the
changes proposed are made, or something similar to that..).

>  @ Anything that pkg_delete has to do?  Maybe warn if the user is
>    different from the one that added it?  (Just throwing out all
>    possibilities -- I don't think that's very useful. :)

Perhaps, on some systems, a variable could be set that would disallow (by
default) the removal of a package that was not installed by that same user. The
user would have to override this "protection" in order to remove the package.

Not sure how this would be useful either.. but *shrug*

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>