Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 18:20:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   X11 strangeness

I am not sure over my choice of lists here.  If I guessed wrong, I'm
willing to be chased away.

Immediately after my last make world and reboot (new kernel, new LKMs too)
I brought XFree86 back up again, did a bunch of manual rearrangements (I
haven't had time to re-customize my screen stuff after my disk crash of a
couple months ago), then I started ppp back up.  I waas happily finishing
the screen stuff, but the moment that ppp finished connecting, X stopped
listening to me, and kept giving me the error:

picnic:/usr2/chuckr:47 >Xlib: connection to "picnic.mat.net:0.0" refused
by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display: picnic.mat.net:0.0

I used xauth to manually add localhost, then read out the key using xuath
list, then manually added the exact same key value for picnic.mat.net:0.0.

This got my back to adding screens, but what's the correct fix?  Seeing as
this happened immediately after ppp connected and set up routes for me, I
think maybe ppp is doing something now it didn't used to do?

It may matter that I was a couple weeks out of date in building current,
so any changes in ppp accrued from then, but the rebuild was from very
fresh sources, just this morning.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |