Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 20:45:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-2-159.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        mbac@nyct.net (Michael Bacarella)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copy-on-write filesystem

In reply:
> Imagine: cp file file2, file and file2 reference the same exact blocks,
> but modified chunks of file2 would be given their own private blocks.

This is not a microsoft innovation, actually, I believe it was a VMS
innovation.  It's called a generational filesystem.  the original is
stored, and later generations of the file are stored as diffs.

> This probably won't fit into current filesystems, but is it a sane idea
> worth pursuing in a new filesystem? I performed an analysis on a
> non-production server and determined that about 66 megs of a typical
> FreeBSD install is duplicate files (and yes, I ignored hard links and
> symlinks and non-regular files).

it has it's advantages.  and disavantages.  one problem in VMS is
determining the system-wide policy on such things, such as how many
file generations will be kept.

this isn't exactly apples to apples, but it's close enough to be
discussed.

a VMS style filesystem would be interesting.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or