Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 19:35:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> Having worked with BSD/*nix systems since the mid-80's, as I understand
> it GENERIC wasn't intened to be a 'minimal' kernel with as little wasted
> space as possible, but a 'kitchen-sink' kernel which contained every
> conceivable driver so that you could never had to build a custom kernel

With this in mind, would it not make sense to have a fairly minimal kernel
on the boot floppy, and include a larger, and more complete 'GENERIC' as
part of the bindist?

That way you get the best of both worlds.

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk        London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[ I'm a 'control' freak.                 But I quite like 'meta' too. ]ENTP