Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:59:14 +0200
From:      Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuring kernel for ISA cards

Hi all

I sent this to frebsd-questions a while back but got no response, so let
me try again here.

FreeBSD 3.x introduced the new boot loader stuff. One of the
consequences was that changing the kernel config at boot time did not
save the changes to the kernel permanently. Instead, it seems, these
changes are supposed to go in /boot/loader.rc. The docs seem very sparse
about all of this, unless I've somehow missed the relevant material.

Now, I was told that the same commands can be used in the loader.rc file
as are used in the configuration editor. However, it seems to me that
this only holds for PCI cards. When I have tried to configure the IRQ
for an ISA card, the loader has complained about a syntax error.

I believe the command I used was:

irq ed0 10

(I can't confirm for sure, as the machine in question has died a
horrible death - came in on Monday morning and half therr libraries in
/usr/lib had had their inodes toasted somehow - they were now device
nodes with garbgae flags and major/minor number settings. Any attempt at
writing to the disk caused a page fault panic. I switched the HDD to
another machine with the same results, so I am now reinstalling the OS
(3.4 in this case) and doing a bad block scan to see if that helps. But
I digress...)

Can anyone tell me the right way to specify an IRQ and port setting for
a legacy ISA card, without recompiling the kernel?

gram