Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 2015 18:16:10 -0700
From:      Benjamin Perrault <ben.perrault@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xhyve: bhyve for OS X?

It=E2=80=99s a bit limited. IMO, it is more a mutation of bhyve then a =
direct port. It can only run Linux at the moment (or at least, I can=E2=80=
=99t get freebsd to run under it, for example - and that seems to =
conform to the github documentation ).=20

SVM, PCI passthrough, VMX host & EPT where removed. It is single process =
model ( because of the OS X Hypervisor.framework ) - and thus there is =
no support for bhyvectl, bhyveload and grub2-bhyve.=20

(more info here: https://github.com/mist64/xhyve )=20

Performance is substantially worse then bhyve on the equivalent hardware =
under FreeBSD from my testing. I=E2=80=99ve found that VMware Fusion or =
Parallels are consistently quicker across the board at the moment for =
anything I=E2=80=99ve tried with Ubuntu/Centos. With that said, it does =
run in userspace which should make it fairly secure, especially combined =
with OS X=E2=80=99s sandboxing.=20

While it=E2=80=99s an interesting project to watch, it definitely has a =
ways to go.

best,
-bp