Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:52:37 +0000
From:      Xian <ian@codepad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel panic on umass drive

I have small USB flash drive that has worked quite well up until now with
FreeBSD. I've found I have to boot with it plugged in as when I don't will
give a line in dmesg:

umass0: Generic USB Flash Disk, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 5

but it only give the lines

umass0: Generic USB Flash Disk, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 5
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Generic USB Flash Disk 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 31MB (63904 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 31C)

I found that when I didn't have the da0 lines (It wasn't in the machine on
boot) and I pulled the drive out it the kernel panicked about a page fault.
The instruction pointer was 0xc0489e5b, and current process was 31 (irq21:
uhci0 uhci1*).

[ian@hercules:~] %nm -n /boot/kernel/kernel | grep c0489e5
c0489e50 t uhci_check_intr
[ian@hercules:~] %uname -a
FreeBSD hercules.codepad.net 5.3-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p4 #6: Fri Jan
14 23:59:29 GMT 2005
root@hercules.codepad.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HERCULES i386

Also a yesterday I compiled in "device ehci" and the kernel panicked on boot
when just after it had detected umass when the drive was plugged in. So I
compiled it out again.

I have had other USB Flash drives work properly on earlier version(s) of
either 5.2.1R or 5.3R, I can't remember.

I'm not sure how to get round this, or who this information would help. Any
help will be very much appreciated, or who to send this info to.

--
/Xian

"Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel,
even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves."
Albert Einstein