Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:15:59 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email address harvesting from the FreeBSD archive

Warren Block wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, William Palfreman wrote:
>

>>I've noticed since I started participating a bit on FreeBSD mailinglist
>>I seem to be getting a lot more spam.  Looking though the archive I see
>>that no attempt is make to disguise participants email addresses.  So
>>really, sending emails to this list is an guaranty of steadily
>>increasing amounts of spam, all the way up to hotmail and aol
>>proportions.  And really, while email addresses are undisguised in the
>>archive, I'd have to be crazy to keep posting to the list, wouldn't I?
>>

> Name one way to be on the internet and *not* be subject to increasing
> amounts of spam.  I will filter and remove incoming spam, but I will not
> filter the stuff I write to avoid it.

I feel the same way. I liked the attitude on http://spam.abuse.net/.
They had a thing about fighting back on SPAM, which is something I
feel is important. If someone SPAMs -questions and all 30,000 of us
wrote their ISP's email drop, funny things would happen. I think it
would get around that FreeBSD users don't fool around and as if
something magic happened, SPAMing the list would quit.

I find that being nice and ignoring SPAM doesn't work. They know they
have a valid email because they don't get bounces back. I have one
email address that get 100's of SPAM emails. This account I followed
the "100% fight back policy" and I get a couple a day. I find that
even the Koreans take care of their problems if you find the right
address. They may have quit or lost their account but I don't care as
long as they quit SPAMing me. If I get several a day from the same
site, I write their ISP contact from doing a "whois" and claim
harassment and that I am holding them responsible for taking care of
the problem.

I know that both email addresses were harvested from the FreeBSD
lists. Now, I fight back and you can normally obtain an 80%
cancellation of accounts. In Washington State you can sue for damages
for you and your ISP. The rules are kind of narrow right now but
people are successfully doing it. I decided that SPAM is like
shoplifting in a store. It costs more to prosecute but they have to
prosecute 100%. I consider SPAM a theft of services because the time
it takes to track them down is stolen from my life; however, I track
every SPAM down.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart