Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:59:43 -0800
From:      Clint Olsen <clint.olsen@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ok, so now what?  Binary upgrade to 6.2-RELEASE fails

On Nov 11, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> That's strange, I've gone right from 5.3 through to RELENG_7 without ever
> doing the reboots during the install process (I know that's not
> recommended) and I never ran into trouble. Did you accidently turn off
> compat6x in the kernel before you built? Did your remember to install the
> misc/compat6x port?

Well, I wasn't upgrading to RELENG_7, so compat6x shouldn't have been an
issue.  And any compatibility library should not have been necessary when
doing a binary upgrade.  I was trying to boot a GENERIC kernel in the
upgrade process.  My 5.5 kernel is only slightly customized as a superset
of the original 5.X kernel.  I don't have the misc/compat5x installed on my
system.  I don't remember seeing that in the upgrading section of the
handbook, so I didn't do that.  I can see this as being necessary for
running certain legacy applications, but I should still be able to boot the
kernel.

Thanks,

-Clint