Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:45:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jules@aasp.net
Subject:   Re: 3GB address space for user app's with FreeBSD 4.5

>  Out of the box, I can malloc almost 512M.  Nice for starter's, but not =
>  nearly enough.  To overcome this (in earlier editions of FreeBSD), I set =
>  MAXDSIZ and DFLDSIZ to 1.5GB, giving me an effective 1GB of malloc'able =
>  space.
>
>  But I've made some changes to my application and I need to go higher, at =
>  least to 2GB, and I would not be surprised in six months to be at 2.5GB.

you are hitting the limit of the IA-32 VM address space of 4G. By
default (alittle less than) 3G is available user VM space and 1G of
kernel VM space. you could put the kernel VM back to .5G (like it
was in the pre FreeBSD 4.x), but you most likely have some problems
trimming back the kernels space needs, esp if you have lots of physical
memory.

There are features in the IA-32 family to expand physical memory to 64GB
but the VM is still limited to 4GB. This 4GB VM limitation has been the
main reason that many of us do not bother adding the extended physical
RAM support in FreeBSD.

If your trend is continuing, you will start to need a 64 bit chipset
and OS. The Alpha is has extended VM addressing now under FreeBSD.
There is the Itanium (IA-64) down the road, or the more promising
AMD "Hammer" chipset (which is a Pentium-class chipset with a 64 bit
MMU and some additional registers). As an aside comment, it is good
enough idea (and the Itanium has not sold well yet), to make Intel
start a Pentium-64 project of their own. I hope they support
8KB pages (-- hint, hint Intel). (end of aside comment).

--mark tinguely.