Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:25:35 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   DS10L suddenly cannot get to the SRM prompt

I've used this ds10l with little problems for some time.
It has a scsi disk, version 7.3 firmware and I freebsd 6.2 release.

I noticed that something was wrong when I could not use it's com1 (rmc)
port for connecting to another ds10l with cu. I could not get rid of
/dev/cuad0: device busy.

I tried to restart this ds10l and now I get stuck at the power-up
sequence:

RMC>reset

Returning to COM port

   *** keyboard not plugged in...
   1024 Meg of system memory
   probing hose 0, PCI
   probing PCI-to-ISA bridge, bus 1
   bus 0, slot 9 -- ewa -- DE500-BA Network Controller
   bus 0, slot 11 -- ewb -- DE500-BA Network Controller
   bus 0, slot 13 -- dqa -- Acer Labs M1543C IDE
   bus 0, slot 13 -- dqb -- Acer Labs M1543C IDE
   bus 0, slot 17 -- pka -- NCR 53C895
   initializing GCT/FRU at 3ff40000

The system does not move beyond this point.

Can this be some sort of hardware failure?

The RMC status does not indicate any problems:

   PLATFORM STATUS
   Il0mFirmware Revision: V1.1
   Server Power: ON
   RMC Halt: Deasserted
   RMC Power Control: ON
   Power Supply: OK
   System Fans: OK CPU Fan: OK
   Temperature: 40.0+CIl0m (warnings at 55.0+C, power-off at 60.0+C)
   Escape Sequence: ^[^[RMC
   Remote Access: Disabled
   RMC Password: not set
   Alert Enable: Disabled
   Alert Pending: Il0;1;5mYESIl0m
   Init String:
   Dial String:
   Alert String:
   Com1_mode: SNOOP
   Last Alert: Il0;1mAC LossIl0m
   Watchdog Timer: 60 seconds
   Autoreboot: OFF
   Logout Timer: 20 minutes
   User String:

The temperature is a bit high now because I opened the box.

No amber light is on, although the leftmost, environmental LED flashes
several times just after powering the system on. Can this be an
indication of hardware failure?

Are there any recommended steps to track down the problem?

Could it be that FBSD somehow messed up the RMC com port?

thanks a lot

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building