Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:30:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   AWE32/SB32 Sound Driver ver. 0.2.0

     Takashi recently released ver. 0.2.0 of his AWE32 Sound Driver, and
this version includes the FreeBSD diffs, so you should be able to drop this
right into a -current kernel.

     The main addition in this version is GUS compatibility.  For example,
with this driver and a one-line change to our gmod 2.0.2 port (see below),
you can now play MOD, 669, MTM, S3M, and ULT files through the wavetable
side of your Sound Blaster 32 or AWE32.  Very nice!

     The URL for the driver is:

     http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/midi.html

and you'll need this one-line diff that didn't make it into his patch file:

   awe_wave.c:
     < #ifdef AWE_OBSOLETE_VOXWARE
     <  #include "tuning.h"
     ---
     > #ifdef AWE_OBSOLETE_VOXWARE
     > #define SEQUENCER_C
     >  #include "tuning.h"

And here's the gmod 2.0.2 diff:

   gmod.c:
     209c209,210
     <         && info.synth_subtype == SAMPLE_TYPE_GUS)
     ---
     >         &&  (info.synth_subtype == SAMPLE_TYPE_GUS ||
     >              info.synth_subtype == SAMPLE_TYPE_AWE32))

Enjoy!

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com

From: Takashi Iwai <iwai@dragon.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject: [linux-awe] Announcement of ver.0.2.0

Hi,

I released the new version 0.2.0 of awe driver and utilities.

Since the hardware control parameters are changed, some function becomes
incompatible with older drivers.  Please install new awesfx and awemidi
utilities together with the driver, too.

The new features of 0.2.0 are:

- Accepts GUS compatible patches
- GUS compatible hardware controls
- Accepts 8bit/unsigned wave data
- Adds blank loop automatically
- FreeBSD support
- Some bug fixes

I've not tested this version with kernel 1.2.13.  If any problem, please
inform here.

Along with this update, the music players using GUS driver can be compiled
by a little modification of card detection part; check synth_subtype and
accept the value 0x20 (SAMPLE_TYPE_AWE32).  For example, in the case of
gmod-3.01, modify Sequencer.c (line 62) as

if (info.synth_type == SYNTH_TYPE_SAMPLE
    && (info.synth_subtype == SAMPLE_TYPE_GUS||info.synth_subtype==0x20))
    gus_dev = i;

Also, GUS patch files can be loaded directly by gusload utility.
It's useful for hearing MIDI music designed for GUS.

--
Takashi IWAI		e-mail: iwai@dragon.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
			WWW: http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/