Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 10:35:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        jonz@netrail.net (Jonathan A. Zdziarski)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setuid shutdown?

> I just realized that my version of freebsd 2.2.2 installs with a
> set-uid-root shutdown command allowing anybody who wants to to shutdown or
> reboot the server.  Obviously I removed the bits, and got rid of the
> problem, but you might all want to check that.  I currently have sudo
> installed, and am able to unsuid quite a few other programs and run them
> under sudo (which logs nicely what my employees are doing too).

-r-sr-x---  1 root  operator  151552 Jun 10 13:59 /sbin/shutdown

According to the permissions only root and members of the operator
group can do shutdown with this version of shutdown (2.2.2-RELEASE)

Bill
 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.