Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:22:12 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        James Satterfield <james@uberduper.com>
Cc:        "Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder@allcaps.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time drift.

James Satterfield wrote:
> I guess I've just never paid that much attention to the clock. I think it's t
> ime for me to get a real clock and setup an NTP server.
> Thanks.
> James.

One of my gate boxes drifts about 11.5 sec a day.  I use rdist to
keep all my hosts at each site in sync - vital for NFS makes !  &
I use cron &/or ppp dial up, to trigger one shot calls EG
"/usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp1.t-online.de" to sync the gate that acts as
rdist server.  I havent set up an NTP server, I'm happy being an
NTP client.  I still havent protected myself from the ramifications
of time lurches on my local net, while NFS compiling. I seem to
recall one of rdist & ntp offered sliding updates, & the other only
offered lurching updates. Maybe I'm wrong, hope so, must get back
to it some time.

Julian Stacey  jhs @ berklix.com
A few mails lost, please resend if awaiting a reply.