Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:54:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ian Struble <ian@broken.net>
To:        jjbock@enteract.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where's the compaq raid support in 3.3?

I can give it to you in a nutshell.  You need to compile a kernel with
the ida device in it and copy that to your kern.flp boot floppy.

Add the following to your copy of the GENERIC config and make the new kernel:

#
# Compaq Intelligent Disk Array Controller
#
controller      ida0    at isa? bio irq ? vector idaintr
disk            id0     at ida0 drive 0
disk            id1     at ida0 drive 1
disk            id2     at ida0 drive 2
disk            id3     at ida0 drive 3

# Warning:
# This driver can be configured to steal the ide devsw[] entries
# so the IDE driver must also be present. If this behaviour is used,
# the system will be unable to get to IDE drives. This is to allow
# systems to boot off the IDA array, while thinking they are booting off
# an IDE drive. (The boot blocks only know about IDE and SCSI).
#
# To disable this behaviour, the following line should be used.
# Do this is you wish to boot of a different device.
#options                IDA_CUCKOO_MODE=0

Stick your kern.flp floppy into the floppy drive, mount it, gzip the
kernel you compile with the ida driver in it, copy the kernel.gz to the
floopy.

<perform sneaker net initialization operation w/ floppy disk>
mount -t ufs /dev/fd0 /mnt
gzip kernel
cp kernel.gz /mnt
umount /mnt

That should do it.  I can ellaborate more later if you still have problems.

Good luck!

Ian