Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:48:23 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to enable ACL support in 5.0?

Hello,
I might appear stupid or not having read the manual, but whatever I
try, I can't get setfacl to work (keeps failing:
setfacl: acl_get_file() failed: Operation not supported).

I read the manual and it says I should add acls as option to fstab
which I did:
/dev/ad7s1g             /home           ufs     rw,acls         2       2

or use tunefs to set the flag statically in the superblock but tunefs
man page knows nothing at all about ACL.

So what do I need to do to get ACLs to work? Also, I was wondering
when to use ugidfw (more exotic stuff, I presume) and when just basic
ACLs. I think the whole ACL stuff could use some more docs, anyway.
For most users, this could be the single most visible change to the
system (SMPng etc are mostly under the hood so that's not as obvious
to most).

I'd appreciate any comments or pointers on this issue.

TIA & regards,
Gabriel